I'm a writer living and working in London. Before that, I lived in the US and Japan, and before that I studied in Bristol and grew up in Birmingham. I've worked in a coffee shop, a bookshop, a DIY store, lots of classrooms and a few offices. I write books about how strange and big the world can be. My first two books are published in the UK by Atom. Eren is published in the US by St Martin's Press as Tell The Story To Its End. Agent: Molly Ker Hawn of The Bent Agency.
Interests and hobbies
Apart from writing (which I do a lot), I love travelling and seeing new places. I like writing in train stations - and they're great for people watching. When not moving around, I like tennis, Wes Anderson movies, baking, Japanese food and playing the drums.
It's always hard to choose favourites, and I'm always finding new books and authors I love. Here is a (very brief) list:
- David Almond (especially Skellig and Kit's Wilderness)
- Neil Gaiman (Coraline, Stardust, The Graveyard Book)
- Emily Bronte (Wuthering Heights)
- Haruki Murakami (A Wild Sheep Chase)
- Margaret Atwood (The Handmaid's Tale)
- George Orwell (1984, Shooting an Elephant)
- Jonathan Stroud (the Bartimaeus Sequence and Lockwood & Co books)
- China Miéville (Railsea and The City and The City)
- Kiran Millwood Hargrave (The Island at the End of Everything)
- Genevieve Cogman (The Invisible Library books)